Saturday, May 7, 2011

Taking Names

Old_RadioI was in Anderson, SC, on Friday morning, visiting my parents after talking to the Sisters in Crime’s Greenville chapter on Thursday night.

My mother likes to listen to a local talk radio show in the mornings. I didn’t pay any attention at all to it, so it was a sort of white noise in the background for me as I read the newspaper.

Suddenly my mother turned up the volume a little. “Let’s see what Pork Chop has to say,” she said, under her breath.

Excuse me?” I asked. “What did you say?”

“I said that I wanted to listen to Pork Chop.”

“His name is Pork Chop?” It was hard to wrap my head around.

“Well, that’s what he goes by.”

Yes, I am a Southerner. Yes, there are names like Pork Chop here in the Southern US. I come across them all the time. They are not made up. You can’t make stuff like this up.

I also come across amazing names almost every day—first names and surnames. I got a truly incredibly surname the other day from someone who emailed me. I added it to my collection. I love my name collection Word file. Some of the names immediately evoke a particular image.

Sometimes? I get caught.

“Is that my name in your book?” I’ll be asked.

Well, it’s a name they share with the character, I’ll tell them. Sometimes I can’t even remember where I collected the name….TV? Radio? Newspaper? An acquaintance mentioned the name?

And I need a lot of names in my books. There are five suspects. There’s a sidekick and a sleuth and various supporting characters. Some characters make return appearances in books…some don’t. I always need fresh names for each book.

One thing I always make very, very clear---the characters are not the people whose names are used. I always make a point that they’re nothing like the character. Because people wonder…if I used their name, what else did I borrow?

Do you borrow names? Do you have a name collection like I do? How do you handle it if you use the name of someone you know?

**************

Sign up for the free Writer’s Knowledge Base newsletter and be automatically entered in a June drawing to receive K.M. Weiland’s CD (or MP3) Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration CD. (Current subscribers will also be entered.) The newsletters include top writing articles, blogger spotlights, and interviews with industry insiders. Sign up here: http://hiveword.com/wkb/newsletter. (You can unsubscribe at any time, and your email address is never shared.)